I’m not crafty when it comes to care packages. I’m happy if I can make it to the post office during my lunch break let alone devise a LEGO-themed care package. Besides if I’m spending all my time scrambling for the “perfect” items for his themed care package, I’m less likely to actually send his care package and it’s more likely that he will come home before I finish it.
My philosophy for care packages is KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). I tell myself that less is more and that a basic care package filled with my husband’s favorite American snacks is better than no care package at all. Luckily there are lots of KISS options for no-mess, no-fuss care package items available at your Walmart and commissary.
3 Tips for No-Mess, No-Fuss Care Packages
- Write a message. It can be a joke, a love note or simply a report of “what I’m doing during your deployment” from your daily journal. In today’s world of tweets and hashtags, a handwritten note is truly a rare treat.
- Individual snack packs. Single serving snacks add a personal and fun element to any care package. Plus, individual snack packs are compact and easier for packing. Along with his favorites, I also like to send snacks and treats my husband hasn’t tried before. Mix it up a bit. Keep him on his toes.
- Easy to open. Try to send food items that don’t require a can opener…unless of course you want to send a can opener in the care package. I try to send canned food that can be easily opened but that won’t break open. You want to make sure that it is properly and securely sealed. We don’t want your service member’s dusting pretzel crumbs off your thoughtful handwritten note.
When I’m looking for items for a no-mess, no-fuss care package, I send StarKist® Single Serve Tuna Creations. The single-serving pre-seasoned chunk light tuna pouches lock in flavor. You simply tear them open and start eating. No draining. No mixing. No mess. No fuss. That’s my kind of care package.
Want to know another reason why I buy StarKist Tuna Creations?
Right now StarKist is pledging $100,000 to Wounded Warrior Project®, a national nonprofit organization that is close to my heart. Wounded Warrior Project’s mission is to honor and empower our nation’s wounded veterans. This partnership makes sense since StarKist, a long-standing supporter of America’s military, has donated thousands of dollars through its Tuna for Soldiers program.
To visually bring attention to the partnership with WWP, StarKist introduced a camouflage-inspired Outdoors Tuna Creations Pouch. This larger pouch (4.5 ounces instead of 2.6 ounces) is available in 2 flavors, Lemon Pepper (my fam’s favorite) and Sweet & Spicy. The Outdoors Tuna Creations Pouch can be purchased at your neighborhood Walmart and at major grocery retailers nationwide.
Interested in trying StarKist Outdoors Tuna Creations? Now’s your chance! Enter below for your chance to win:
- 4 Outdoors Tuna Creation Pouches (2 of each flavor)
- StarKist Charlie the Tuna T-shirt
- StarKist collapsible water bottle
- StarKist Charlie the Tuna keychain