The first time I saw these classes offered at a local dance studio, I was completely intrigued. But, I was hesitant to try it – I was the girl who couldn’t even keep up in a simple step aerobics class. Not to mention that I certainly couldn’t tell anyone I was going to a lap dance class – that’s even a bit “out there” for me.
It took me 3 years before I chalked up enough nerve to actually attend a class, but as soon as I did, I was hooked.
Here’s 5 reasons you should swallow your embarrassment, sign up for a class and go shake your booty:
1) Yes, it really is for you – no matter what your fitness level. Let’s face it: I say pole dancing and you think svelte stripper, right? Yeah, I did, too. Until I went to my first class. Looking around the room, there were women of all shapes & sizes. ALL of them were laughing, smiling, and having FUN.
2) (Re)Connect with your sensual side. These classes are all designed to connect you to your feminine side and unleash your inner vixen. The studio I go to doesn’t have any mirrors and is dimly lit so it gives the feel of you being alone, dancing for fun in your bedroom. You’re encouraged to not worry about how you – or anyone else – looks, but to feel the music and the moves. Trust me, if you try out these moves on your honey, they’ll be too floored to critique your form, so just have fun!
3) Boost your confidence. I guarantee that no matter what you feel like when you walk into that class, by the time you walk out, you’ll feel like you’re a new person.
4) Add some spice to your love life. Now, I’ve yet to be brave enough to actually perform any of the moves I’ve learned for my significant other, but, just him knowing that I’m doing it gives a little spark. My increased confidence in my body and sensuality definitely comes through and, well, he’s certainly not complaining.
5) Get a KILLER workout. These workouts are NOT easy. Far from it, in fact. The first few classes, muscles I didn’t even know I had were sore. I had bruises in places one should not have bruises – inner forearm and top of the foot are a few of the more bizarre places.
So, take your pick of reasons why you SHOULD check out an “alternate” form of exercise and hop to it. You never know what kind of benefits you’ll experience. *wink wink, nudge nudge*