by Jamie Mari, Guest Contributor
Being a military spouse is already difficult enough. Then you throw work, school, kids and deadlines in the mix? No wonder they say this isn’t for everybody…It takes a strong human being to go through what we do on a daily basis, but we do it.
We do it because we love our significant other and our country. We do it because we are built for it. But we are also built for a little fun now and then.
Whether it’s a girls night or heading off to the spa or going on a weekend trip, we owe it to ourselves to take a break from this consuming life we have. Even though we love what we do and it empowers us every day, you got to know when to take a chill pill.
Here are 10 reasons you might need a dose of fun in your life.
- If those stress headaches you keep getting are taking a toll on you.
- It’s in your boss’s best interest because if he/she gives you one more unrealistic deadline you’re going to lose it on him or her.
- If your kids say “you look tired” on a weekly basis.
- If you can’t remember the last time you went out and had a drink with a friend.
- If your idea of “fun” is getting to leave work early because the A/C in the building is broken.
- You lay awake at night worrying about everything you have to do the following day.
- You have too many unused vacation days.
- If your friends have told you “I don’t understand how you do it” over 10 times.
- If you feel like you need to blow off some steam because your lazy co-worker messed up again.
- If you just want to.
You have now realized that it’s high time you have some fun. Here are some things for you to keep in mind when you’re letting loose.
No, you do not have to drink alcohol in order to have fun, but more power to you if you do. Reassure yourself that this is OK and completely normal. Let your significant other know that you are going out because they will be worried but happy that you’re finally doing something for yourself.
Don’t try to plan everything out, because when something screws up your work mind will kick in and drive you crazy. Just go with the flow.
Under no circumstances do you utter the word “work.” This is not a time nor place for that kind of conversation.
Now, you may think that “having fun” and “going out” means going to the bar and getting bonkers drunk, that is not the case. If that’s what you want to do then by all means do it.
But for those who prefer a less crowded and loud scene, pack up for the weekend and go somewhere. Take that trip you always said you were gonna take when you were in high school.
Go to the spa, go out to dinner at the fanciest place you can find.
Have a poker night. Go hiking. Learn how to do something new.
Once you realize you are free to do what you want is when euphoria sets in and you become that free spirit you always knew was in you somewhere. Yes, we chose this life but who says we can’t let loose and act a little crazy.
It is good for your soul and mind.
Doing this will save you from going berserk on the next person that looks at you the wrong way, because you’re down to your last straw.
Look at fun as your therapy. Get in a different head space and put all the things you normally think about at the back of your mind.
Here are 10 things you can do to have a good time.
- Call up your ladies/lads and go camping
- Splurge on a shopping trip and a massage
- Try that hobby you always wanted to but never had time for
- Have a dinner party
- Plan a trip to meet face to face with your favorite animal
- Buy those concert tickets you’ve always wanted
- Go skydiving (adrenaline junkies only)
- Try a new restaurant
- Rent a cabin for the weekend
- Do some karaoke
Do whatever you want. This is about you for once. This is about you keeping your sanity.
Taking a break from working so much. Giving yourself something to look forward to. There is nothing wrong with it and it is perfectly normal.
You will thank yourself one day.
Being strong and independent becomes so natural for us, sometimes we lose sight of how short life is. You don’t wanna wake up one day when you’re finally where you always wanted to get and think “was it worth it?”
We already make so many sacrifices, our happiness should not be one.
We all love what we do and killing it is definitely one of the things we love to do. But know when it’s time to take a step back and take a breather because there is nothing wrong with it.
And your kids, boss, co-workers and loved ones will thank you for it in the long run.
My name is Jamie Mari. I’ve been with my now husband for 5 years and married one year. I am 23 years old and work as an operations assistant in Alabama. I am going through my first deployment right now and my job keeps me extremely busy, which I love. I love my husband and my wonderful life.