Easter will be here soon! The grocery and departments stores have been filling their aisles with Easter decor/candy and spring break has arrived for some of the children world wide. Even the weather is changing! The days are getting warmer and those creepy little crawlers called insects are starting to make their appearance. Seeing a bumble bee or a yellow jacket flying around is usually my first clue that spring is here.
My family has always been a festive one. We enjoying making recipes and dishes that coincide for each holiday on the calendar and sharing them with others. This time around, instead of sharing tips with everyone, I figured I would write up a cute tutorial post to usher in the days of Spring and prepare us for the Easter holiday.
From start to finish, children and adults of all ages and stages will enjoy making these cupcakes. These will be wonderful to make for an upcoming play date, a barbecue, or for any other special event during the season. Round up the neighborhood kids for an afternoon of cupcake decorating fun! My children absolutely love it when we get in the kitchen to make these, and hopefully yours will too!
Happy Easter and Spring everyone!!
Easter Basket Cupcakes
(makes 12 cupcakes)
12 cupcakes, unfrosted-any cupcake recipe will do (boxed or homemade)
1 and 1/2 cups white frosting
1 bag of Jelly Beans or Candy Eggs
1 cup of shredded coconut
1 bag of Twizzler Candy or Pastel Colored Pipe Cleaners (we found ours at the dollar store)
4 drops of green food coloring
1 tsp. water
Easter Bunny Cut Outs (optional) (we used Easter Egg decorations, purchased at the dollar store)
1. Take the cupcakes and frost each of them with the white frosting. I used my handy dandy cake decorating tip (#16) to create the basket-ripple effect.
2. Take a piece of Twizzler Candy or pipe cleaner and insert it into each end of the cupcake, making the handles. Be sure to measure and cut them if they are to high.
3. Mix the 1 tsp. of water with the 4 drops of green food coloring in a small plastic bag. Place the 1 cup of shredded coconut inside the bag. Press and squish it all around until all the coconut is green.
4. Place the green coconut on top of the white frosting, making the green grass.
5. Once finished, place the Jelly Beans and Candy Eggs on top of the grass.
6. Take each Easter Bunny cut out and tape the back to a toothpick. Insert the toothpick in the back of the cupcake so the bunny is facing forward.