The good news: It won’t be like that every day.
There will be ups and there will be downs. The emotional roller coaster may be difficult to embrace, but remember that every downward fall gives you the momentum to go right back up.
I know; it’s hard to see that when you’re in that dreadful, horrible moment of despair. But here’s a secret: YOU – and ONLY you – have the power to pull yourself out of it.
Yes, getting a letter or a call or flowers would cheer you, but ultimately YOU are the only one who has control over your feelings.
I’m not saying you have to be happy all the time. Hey, sometimes it’s GOOD to embrace the bad – OWN it – and then let it go. Don’t let yourself get tied up in those negative feelings. Yes, you can have a bad day – just don’t let a bad day turn into a bad week turn into a bad month.
Instant Pick Me Up Exercise
Do this exercise today – while you’re feeling positive! – write down at LEAST 10 things that you’re grateful for. Ten things you feel blessed with. Ten things YOU love.
I’ll give you my examples:
- I’m grateful for my amazing friends and family who are always there to support me (no matter what crazy idea pops into my head).
- I’m grateful for the ability to run – it keeps me sane.
- I’m grateful to have two of the most loving cats in the world – Ok, one. The other is a terror, but I love him too.
- I’m grateful for my job that keeps me busy when I need it to.
- I’m grateful for my readers – without them I would feel helpless.
- I’m grateful for my safe home.
- I’m grateful for tea – next to running, it’s my sanity-saver.
- I’m grateful for my health.
- I’m grateful for bubble baths – nothing like it to help me unwind.
- I’m grateful for wine – cause really, some days, you just need it.
Now, whenever things look too depressing or sad or your anxiety flares – and it WILL – pull out this list and look at all the things you have to be grateful for. Add to the list whenever you think of things – they could be mundane like: you love having 10 minutes to read your favorite magazine or you’re grateful for Netflix.
Just remember: YOU have complete control over your emotions. That is the most powerful secret I know.