While you’re busy getting ready for the packers to come, make sure you don’t forget these easily forgotten moving tasks every military family needs on their moving checklist!
After being married to the Army for 15 years and 7 moves, I have compiled this moving checklist that keeps us on track, makes sure all the details are taken care of, and eliminates things from being overlooked.
10 Easily Forgotten PCS Tasks on Your To-Do List!
1. Make sure to have your electricity, Internet, cable, and any other monthly household bills turned off.
2. Return your cable box and cable modem to your cable company. I can’t tell you how many people we have heard of that forget to return their cable box.
3. Cancel all gym or club memberships that you have.
4. Complete a change of address through the post office. Even if you do not have a new address, make sure to forward your mail to a friend or family member.
5. Refill all prescriptions before you move. You don’t want to run out of medication during a moving process.
6. Have your dentists’ and doctors’ phone numbers on hand.
7. Research new duty station for possible housing, schools and sexual offenders. By doing this ahead of time, you will have an idea of where you want to live before you get to your new duty station.
8. Make sure you have copies of any and all medical, dental, school, and veterinary records. Don’t forget to ask your salon for hair care and color records, too!
9. Return all borrowed items to friends and neighbors. I have loaned things out and never saw them again.
10. Properly dispose of hazardous chemicals. Certain chemicals cannot be thrown in the garbage and have to be turned into the chemical recycling center.
PCS Tip! Remember to contact your Rental Insurance company with Your new address as soon as you get it.
This moving checklist is a great tool to use before your packers show up. You can start preparing for your move well in advance and minimize your PCS related stress!