Spring is right around the corner! I don’t know about you but Spring is my favorite time of year. The weather is perfect, the grass is green, and the flowers are blooming. Spring is so refreshing.
It’s also a time that my house gets that annual deep cleaning, we all know it as Spring Cleaning!
We all know the basics for cleaning our home, but Spring Cleaning is different. It’s when we clean those things we never clean. You know what I’m talking about…those tedious jobs that we really don’t want to do. It’s time to open up the windows, turn on some music, and have some fun!
Oft Neglected Spring Cleaning To-Dos
- Give your baseboards, door frames, and walls a good scrub-down.
- Before you start cleaning those windows, be sure to pick a cloudy day.
“If it’s too sunny, the cleaning solution will dry too fast and you’ll have streaks,” says Donna Smallin, author of Cleaning Plain & Simple (Storey Publishing, 2005)
- Deep clean your carpets and rugs. Rugs hide the dirt so it’s hard to see just how dirty they can get. You can either rent a steam cleaner and do it yourself or call in the professionals.
- Move the furniture and roll up the rugs to get a good deep cleaning.
- Move out your appliances and clean behind them.
- Freshen up your window curtains.
To remove dust from sheer curtain panels, “put them in the dryer on low with a fabric-softener sheet,” Smallin says.
- check the batteries in your smoke detector
- Flip and rotate your mattresses
Use Spring Cleaning to Purge Your Winter Clutter
During the winter months, we have a tendency to hold on to our stuff, but during the Spring, we are more likely to purge the clutter.
- Pack up your winter clothes and store them.
- Clean and organize you closets.
- Organize your cabinets including your medicine cabinet. Now is a great time to get rid of the expired medications.
- Get rid of out grown or broken toys.
Now that you have done the annual purge and deep cleaning, spruce up your home!
- Decorate with fresh cut flowers.
- Replace the heavy wintery curtains with soft curtains that flow and allow the sunshine in.
- Paint a room in a fresh coat of paint.
- Buy new bedding and decor.
- Give that neglected bathroom a makeover.