Life as a military spouse isn’t easy. We experience challenges that the “real world” doesn’t even know exist, and we live in a constant state of change. Our days never have enough hours and our nights are often spent tossing and turning with worry or taking care of a child who is missing their mommy or daddy.
Talk about stress!
The good news is that within the next few minutes, you can find balance by arming yourself with these five simple tips that will help you get rid of unnecessary stress in your life.
5 Stress Busting Tips for Military Spouses
1. Military Spouses Need to Make Themselves a Priority
As military spouses many of us put our own needs on the back burner. But you and I both know that we aren’t kidding anyone. In order to decrease the amount of stress that YOU have, it is vital to take care of yourself. Remember, you’ve got to put your oxygen mask on before helping others and get the damn massage already! Make a commitment to YOU!
2. What you put it is what you get out. Cut the Yuck.
- Yuck #1: Cut the caffeine and sugar. So often when we’re running on empty we reach for the “quick fix” that will help us “push through”. But the truth is that even though we buy ourselves a couple more hours, we are actually causing more stress on our bodies by ignoring the fact that they are telling us to slow down.
- Yuck #2: Cut the negativity and negative people out of your life. If you are surrounded by users and energy suckers you will be more stressed. Cut the people, cut the stress it’s that simple (Not easy…but a VERY necessary skill for every military spouse!)
- Yuck #3: Cut the unnecessary. All the things that you tell yourself that you “should do” doesn’t mean that you “should” do them. Take some time and really look at all you are doing, and decide what needs to go. And then let it go, even if it’s only for a short time.
3. Surround Yourself With Positive People, Places, and Things
When you smile and laugh your stress automatically decreases! Spend time with people that make you feel good and focus on all the positive things in your life. Don’t let emotional vampires suck the life out of you and pump you full of stress!
4. Get Up Off of That Thang and Exercise!
Exercise increases your blood flow, decreases toxins and helps us eliminate stress and anxiety. It’s a proven fact that the more you move the better you feel!
5. Feed Your Inner Spirit
I know that for each of us this means something different, but connecting to something bigger than ourselves helps us focus, relax and think clearer about our lives.